Our team of theme park employees and Orlando-based travel agents created the
Top 10 Free Activities at Disney World. These are the ten best activities at Disney World that do not cost a penny.
1. Downtown Disney – You can walk around this huge shopping, dining and entertainment complex at Disney World. There is free entertainment at the Downtown Disney Marketplace where you can get your picture taken with statutes of Buzz Lightyear and a pirate from the crew of the Flying Dutchman, watch the boats, sprites, and ferries travel across the bay, trade pins at the pin pavilion, and the kids can play at the LegoLand playground and Legos area.
To stay cool, the kids can bring their swimsuits and play in the water jet area. Additionally, Westside (the western side of Downtown Disney) has several excellent restaurants including Bongos Cuban Café, House of Blues, and Wolfgang Puck’s. Virgin Records also has a two-story store on the Westside that carries books, music, and videos — all of which can be sampled for FREE while visiting this store.
2. Animal Programs at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge – You can visit the animals in the savanna at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. Depending on your viewing location, of which there are several, you will see giraffe, pelicans, flamingos, monkeys, and gazelles roaming the 33-acre wildlife preserve that surrounds the resort.
There are several educational programs throughout the day including special viewings in the evening with night vision goggles and special feeding times throughout the day. At the end of the day, stories will be told around the fire pit just outside the main lobby.
3. Hidden Mickey Hunt – Have a Hidden Mickey Hunt around any of the Disney resorts. Many of the resort front desks will have a Hidden Mickey guide for that resort such as the Hidden Mickey Safari at Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge. These hidden versions of the classic Mickey ears logo (°o°) can be found throughout Disney property. This is a fun activity for kids and adults!
4. Stables & Petting Zoo – Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort has a fun area near Pioneer Hall that has stables with horses from Magic Kingdom and a petting zoo area. Plus, for a nominal fee, kids can take a pony ride.
While you’re here, Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort has some of the most scenic and lengthy walking paths of any resort on Disney property, so get out there and enjoy some fitness in the beautiful Florida weather!
5. Water Taxi/Ferry Ride – Enjoy a leisurely boat ride from Downtown Disney to Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside Resort. You can walk along the beautiful trails and rivers around Disney’s Port Orleans Riverside and then ride the water taxi back to Downtown Disney
6. Electric Water Pageant – Spend an evening in a hammock on the beach at Disney's Polynesian Resort while you watch the Electric Water Pageant. This fun water parade runs in front of Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort, Disney’s Polynesian Resort, Disney's Contemporary Resort, Disney's Wilderness Lodge and Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort, nightly.
7. Wishes Fireworks – You can watch the Wishes Fireworks at Magic Kingdom from the Deck at Disney’s Contemporary Resort. This is an amazing view of the fireworks above Cinderella’s Castle. I also enjoy watching Wishes Fireworks from the beach area of Disney's Polynesian Resort. The music that corresponds to the fireworks show is piped in at this resort!
8. Ride the Monorail – You can take a ride on the monorail loop to see some of the Walt Disney World Resort. This is always a fun ride for the whole family.
The main loop goes from the Magic Kingdom front entrance to the Transportation and Ticket Center to EPCOT and back. There is also an “inner” resort loop that will take you from the front entrance of Magic Kingdom to Disney’s Grand Floridian, Disney's Polynesian Resort, Disney's Contemporary Resort and then returning to the front entrance of Magic Kingdom.
9. Campfire Singalong – Enjoy a fun evening at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort. Chip and Dale will greet you for this fun campfire sing-along. You can roast marshmallows and then sing some fun songs around the campfire. After the sing-along, enjoy a classic Disney movie on the big screen for FREE! There is a small fee for s'mores supplies, or bring your own!
10. Disney’s Boardwalk – Enjoy evening activities on Disney’s Boardwalk including games and live entertainment. You can even see some of the IllumiNations Show at Epcot along the Disney's Boardwalk.
There is so much to do at Disney that doesn’t require opening your wallet. Which is your favorite?
For more information on planning an affordable Disney vacation, contact us at 281-380-3437 or visit us online for your free vacation quote!