REVIEW: Dreams Los Cabos Resort, Cabo San Lucas, Mexico
Hola mis amigos! I just returned from my vacation in Los Cabos, Mexico! We had such a great time and there are many things I’d like to share with you. I will be posting several blogs about Los Cabos, from snorkeling, to ATV adventures, to shopping and the spa. So please join me today as I give you a review of the resort we stayed at: Dreams Los Cabos. There are five things I always look at in a resort and I’d like to share them with you.
1. Location – Dreams Los Cabos is set along the Sea of Cortez, Baja Sur California. A quick three-hour flight from Denver and you’re nearly there! After you pick up your baggage and clear customs, you’ll head straight outside. Do not stop for anyone telling you they are your transfers! When booking with your trusted White Glove Destinations travel agent, we will secure you private transfers. All you have to do is find the person holding a sign with your name on it! From the airport it is about a 30-minute drive to Dreams Los Cabos.
If you’re wanting to explore town (or like me do some shopping!) the concierge desk can quickly call a taxi for you. To the marina in Cabo San Lucas it is about 20 minutes. To San José del Cabo it is about 15 minutes.
Dreams is right on the beach! However, because the currants are so strong and the waves can get high, swimming is not allowed. You are able to walk along the shore and get your toes wet, but be careful of an unexpected large wave. Trust me on this one, pay attention or you’ll end up getting soaked like me! You can also take a taxi or shuttle to a swimmable beach.
2. Room – The rooms were beautiful and large! 650 square feet! We reserved a Junior Suite Ocean View King room and were upgraded to Preferred Club (see my upcoming post on the preferred club perks some of which include: private check-in, reserved lounging section on the beach, and a coupon booklet). The first thing I always do is walk straight to the window and pull the blinds. WOW! What a view! Our room had a view overlooking the main pool with the ocean in the background. If you left your door open at night you can hear the waves crashing. Our room was also always clean! We would get housekeeping twice daily. Once for normal service, second for turndown service. Sometimes the housekeeping schedule wasn’t consistent, but in the end we were always attended to and had what we needed. They did a wonderful job at replenishing our mini-fridge with bottled water, sodas, and bottled beer. I will admit, there were a few things I thought could be improved. I found the bed was slightly hard. It felt like it didn’t have a good mattress pad on it. I probably could have asked concierge to see if they could find a solution, but didn’t think about it until I got home.
3. Food – Food is a very hard one for me because I’m Celiac and have to eat gluten free. If I eat anything with gluten in it, or even cross contaminated with, I will get very ill. I did not get sick on my vacation! At check-in I received a card that said what foods I could not eat. Looking back, I wish I had made one up or even ordered one in Spanish. I felt like sometimes the little card didn’t explain it well enough, or maybe it was just me being paranoid that I was going to get sick. Either way, to make myself feel better I’d like to take a card in the local language next time.
Back to the real food review! Dreams Cabo is an
all-include resort, so as they call it Unlimited-Luxury®. There are four à la carte restaurants, a buffet, a grill and a café to choose from. You can even enjoy private in-room dining with 24-hour room service. We dinned at World Café, Portofino, Seaside Grill, and Bordeaux. Of all of those my favorite was Bordeaux. **tip: order the Mexican coffee – you’re in for a real treat** We also ordered room service one day. There were limited gluten free offerings for me, what I did eat I really enjoyed! For the “non-gluten free people” you’ll love the food! My boyfriend had died and gone to heaven! He loved every single one of his meals and devoured every scrap on his plate. The one complaint I have about Dreams Cabo is that they do not have a Mexican restaurant. When I go to Mexico I want authentic, local foods. There wasn’t a place where I could grab chips and salsa. Needless to say, I was disappointed that I never satisfied that craving.
4. Pool – They have two pools. The main pool and an adult only pool. The main pool is the family friendly pool. It’s an infinity pool with a small shallow pool below. There is a fun waterslide for kids to enjoy! It can be hard finding lounge chairs here so we spent most of our time at the adults only pool. There were always lounge chairs available and it quiet. Both pools have a swim-up bar.
5. Staff – The staff is what will bring me back. The service they provide is next to none. They remember your name and things you’ve said to them several days ago. I mentioned to the bellman we were going snorkeling – three days later when I next saw him, he asked about it! You start recognizing your waiters and bartenders so they get to know what you like to eat and drink. Out bartender in the preferred club would see me walk in and would have my favorite drink nearly ready for me! The pool attendants always make sure you have clean, dry towels and offer to bring you a drink. The level to service the staff provided will make me a return guest!
Overall – Would I come back to this resort again? Yes! In a heartbeat! In fact, I’m brain storming on taking my mom for her birthday. Dreams Los Cabos is the perfect place to getaway on vacation. There is something for the whole family. Whether it’s the Explorer's Club for kids, the spa, the nightclub, even the beach, you will find something every member of your family will enjoy here.
Want to experience Los Cabos for yourself? Contact Hallie, your Los Cabos Specialist, for your complimentary quote!